Kyoto Styudy

Part-time Jobs

Many international students living in Kyoto engage in part-time work.
Here we explain the procedures, conditions and important things to note, in order for you to be able to work part-time with peace of mind.

In order to start part-time work


When engaging in part-time work, it is necessary to submit an application for “Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted” to the Immigration Bureau beforehand and obtain approval. Usually, you can receive one at the airport when you enter the country. Once you have received permission, it remains valid even if you later change your place of work. In addition, next time you apply for Permission for Extension of Period of Stay, you can also renew your “Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted” at the same time.

●Necessary documents for application

  • □ Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted (Available at Immigration service counters)
  • □ Passport (presentation only)

Conditions for part-time work

No more than 28 hours per week.
No more than 8 hours per day during long holiday periods.

●Main places of work for international students

  • □ Hotels and inns
  • □ Restaurants (from fast food outlets and restaurants)
  • □ Language tutors teaching English and other languages

●Prohibited places of part-time work

The adult entertainment businesses, bars and snack bars where you sit together with customers
Working at sex-related businesses or businesses that arouse passion for gambling (pachinko and mahjong parlors) is prohibited, even if dishwashing or cleaning.

How to find a part-time job

The following ways of looking for work exist


  • □ Introductions by the University/School’s Student Affairs Section
  • □ Advertisements in part-time job information magazines and newspaper advertising sections
  • □ Introductions by the Public Employment Security Office (Hello Work)
  • □ Introductions by friends and senior acquaintances
  • □ School notice board
  • □ Job Information (Websites) etc.

●Part-time job information-related businesses

In order to avoid trouble

Make notes on the labor conditions as much as you can
It is good if you can receive an “employment contract” from your employer; however, this does not occur in most cases.
At the time of the first interview, ask the employer to write down the working days, working hours, wages, payment date for wages, as well as the name and telephone number of the person in charge of your employment. Otherwise, you should make a note of such information yourself and confirm it with the employer.
If you keep such notes, it will safeguard against unnecessary problems caused by misunderstandings, and will prove useful if there should happen to be any trouble.
There is a set minimum wage, and in Kyoto Prefecture it is 856 yen (as of October 1, 2017).

●If problems occur with your part-time job

As the number of international students engaged in part-time work increases, various problems, such as injuries at work or not receiving wages as promised, are coming to the fore. When trouble occurs in the workplace, you should first of all calmly discuss the matter with your superior. If you are still unable to resolve the issue after such discussion, please consult a counseling organization.
Kyoto Labor Department Inspection Division [TEL] 075-241-3214 [FAX] 075-241-3219